Salt Generator Information
THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!
With the rising cost of chlorine, and the promise of only future increases, we at Scheidel Pools are promoting what is called a CHLORINE GENERATOR.
WHAT IS IT??
It is a small unit that mounts in the plumbing near your pump and filter and MAKES chlorine out of salt that is added to your pool.
IS IT NEW??
No, only to this country. The rest of the world is mostly chlorine generators. They have been around for many years.
BUT I DON'T WANT SALT IN MY POOL!!
Relax, the amount of salt required is less than a teaspoon of salt per gallon of water.
HOW OFTEN DO I HAVE TO ADD SALT?
Generally, you will only have to add salt in the spring to compensate for last year's "splash out" and /or water removed from pool for winterization. Yes, that's right, you basically only add the salt once.
HOW HARD IS IT TO USE?
Easier than your chlorinator. The unit has up-down buttons to increase or decrease the amount of chlorine that is being generated.. It has 3 salt level lights that let you know whether or not the salt level is good, medium or low.
DOES THIS MEAN I DON'T HAVE TO TEST MY POOL?
NO!!! You should still test your pool not only for chlorine, but PH and alkalinity as well. Low PH can cause premature heater failure as well as put heavy metals into your pool. However, through the process of making chlorine it also promotes a higher PH input to HELP keep the PH higher than normal.
DO I STILL HAVE TO SHOCK MY POOL?
YES - but you don't have to buy shock. Simply push and hold 2 buttons and the unit automatically shocks your pool AT NO EXTRA COST!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- You do not have to buy chlorine.
- You do not have to buy shock.
- You eliminate the harsh brackish feel that manufactured chlorine produces, making for a more enjoyable swim.
- PH tends to rise with the use of this unit. With the amount of "acid rain" we experience in Michigan this again saves you money.
- No more "red eyes" or bleached suits.
- No chlorine smell.
- Longer liner life.
ARE THERE ANY DISADVANTAGES?
- Of course, the initial cost. However, with the life expectancy of the unit and good water maintenance, you should you should expect a substantial return on your money ...and that's at today's chlorine prices, which are predicted to rise enormously!
- It does not produce chlorine when water temps fall below 54 degrees. Those of you who like to keep your pool open late in the season for looks or use will need to monitor chlorine levels with conventional means.
In closing, we thank you for taking the time to look. We at Scheidel Pools have been kicking this idea around for many years. Until recently the pay back was far too long. Prices of chlorine are rising dramatically and are predicted to continue rising. We have looked at over 30 units that are on the market today. We have found the Intellchlor to be the most durable and user friendly of all these units.
PLEASE...if you have any questions feel free to call 616-531-2255.
Dave Scheidel, Scheidel Pool & Spa, Inc.